Let me get this out of the way up front.
I dearly wish I could just skip today.
Not because it happens to be a Thursday or because the weather's not particularly wintery in this part of the world, even though climate change is still just a myth or political propaganda, apparently...
No. I dread the coming of December the 27th, because emotionally, it's by far the hardest and most painful day of the year for me on the Gregorian calendar.
Editorial Note: And by comparison to some of the other 364 days I'd like to skip over...that says a lot.
If my disdain for today was for a singular reason, I suppose that would be one thing and for the majority of my life, it was. On this day, twenty-nine years ago, I got on a plane and left my home in New England for the West Coast.
It took until 2016 for me to finally get back home for what I'd hoped would be for good, and during that whole 3,006 mile journey across the continent, I'd allowed myself to finally start the process of letting that go.
It wasn't easy, I can tell you that right now. For most of that week and even after I'd finally stopped moving, I argued with myself about whether I really could or not. But after all I'd gone through in those intervening years, I figured having made it back on my own terms and with the intention of starting over, then it was necessary.
I wish that I could leave it at that...but I can't. As I said, there's more than one reason why this day has become so hard for me to get through every year.
That other is that it's the birthday of the woman pictured above.
Who is she? A long time ago, she was one of my best friends. Now...for lack of a better term, she's a Ghost. One of many I have to live with, whether I want to or not.
The last time we saw each other was over a year ago, when we were both living in Boston. It was the first time we'd been in the same space together since about 2011 and to say it was an awkward meeting is a gross understatement.
Why had it taken so long? The simplest, non-bullshit explanation is that I fucked up. Badly. I broke my own cardinal rule and let myself get too emotionally attached by falling for her at a time when I'd just closed the book on a long and what I realize now was an incredibly toxic marriage a few months earlier.
Add on to that the psychological fallout that a person is left with when their life completely implodes around them, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine that that someone is not, and most likely will never be, worthy of another chance at a relationship.
Ghost made it quite clear to me that as much as I hoped she might feel the same way, that simply wasn't going to happen, and then she moved on without any further explanation as to why she'd let me even think that it might have been possible.
Now I know what you're thinking.
Question #1: If that's the case then why, in the name of common sense, did I not just accept it and do the same?
I did accept it. The process of doing so took much of the next three years, involved me totally isolating myself in the geographic middle of nowhere, and it hurt like an absolute motherfucker...but I finally accepted it.
Question #2: Then why go back and try to reestablish contact?
Crazy as this may sound, and trust me, if there's one thing I know...it's crazy...I did it because part of me wanted to see if it was humanly possible for two people who'd emotionally hurt one another for starkly different reasons to come back to a point of mutual equilibrium and coexist.
I walked away from that meeting cautiously optimistic, because Ghost had given me reason to be, because she thought it might be possible too. It wasn't going to happen right away, nor would it be an easy or painless process, but it was better than the alternative of remaining entrenched in the conflict that had split our relationship apart in the first place.
Unfortunately, the armistice fell apart not long after and she's been a Ghost ever since.
Editorial Note: For the record, I didn't choose that colloquialism for some petty, arbitrary, or passive-aggressive reason. I am no stranger when it comes to the very real practice of ghosting, and that's what happened here. She chose to become a Ghost instead of allowing the dialogue I'd asked for when we last met to continue and I'd be lying if I said that didn't hurt like a motherfucker too.
So where does that leave me regarding today and why it wrecks me so much? Well, let me posit you this:
Take one of the worst moments of your life and on the exact same day, cross it with the coming into the world of someone who's presence in your life would become first a revelation, then a nightmare.
Someone who challenged you to think outside of everything you thought you knew, to take risks again, and most importantly, to give you a reason to let your guard down and take your armor off, only for them to hit you in the one place you've tried the hardest to protect from getting hurt again...
How would you feel if you knew you had that to look forward to year after year, and no amount of distraction, letting go or moving on would let you forget it?
Honestly, the worst part is grappling with myself over which emotion I get to feel more of today - grief or rage.
The rage I can justify a million different ways because that's the lower hanging fruit, as anyone who had their heart broken will tell you. The grief, however, is a totally different animal.
It's not a grief born out of self-pity or seeing myself as a victim by any stretch. Like I said, I brought this on myself and I've got to live with that, just like I've got to live with the reality that if I wasn't me, if my life wasn't what it's been and it didn't affect me like it has, then there's a very real chance I would've never had to write this, because all this might not never have happened.
No...it's the grief that comes with all the amazing little episodes we shared together before all this happened. Those times when we could both be open, vulnerable, fragile and honest with each other without any pretenses, judgments or expectations of anything but that we were two people who could occupy the same space and share things we hid from the rest of the world.
Time doesn't erase them and no one can take them from me, no matter how many years go by. There was this tiny moment where that polarity felt so strong before a million other crazy, stupid things came in and tore it apart. And for all the bullshit about there being 'someone out there for everyone,' or 'there's seven billion other people in the world,' I know damn well that I am never going to recapture that with anyone else.
Not after going through all this.
Yes, relationships are messy and they are never guaranteed to anyone. Yes, when they fail, we have to pick ourselves back up and move on. I understood it then and I still do now, but that doesn't mean I can forget about her...because I can't.
Before she became a Ghost, she was both my friend and she was someone I loved very much. And when this day comes around, I try like hell to remember that feeling more than the void in my life I carry now that she's gone.
Happy Birthday, Katie. You are missed. You are loved. And wherever you are now, I hope you're safe and you are happy.

No comments:
Post a Comment