Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Patience

I'll be the first to admit that I am not a big believer in astrology or the Zodiac. I'd like to think we as human beings cannot be categorized with such broad, overarching strokes as it belies our own complexities and intricacies which makes us all different.

However, were you look at where I sit at the astrological round table, I seriously doubt many people would debate that I am, beyond shadow of a doubt, a Bull.

I'm not entirely sure how good of a thing that is, to be honest, but as I said, I don't take too much personal stock in it for a simple reason.

Tauruses are supposedly known for their ability to exercise patience, and I am FAR from a patient man.

At some point, I'm sure I had to be able to not be so demanding that things happen right away. When I was a kid, I understood that if there was something I wanted, be it a toy, book, whatever, if I was patient and waited then in time I would be able to get it. Even now there are times when I realize I need or want something but I can't get it immediately so I have to wait a week, a month, or maybe even longer. I may not like it in the moment, but I can accept that level of patience because I know I have some level of control over the situation and it's just a matter of practicing self-discipline until the goal can be met.

Where my patience dissolves into complete nothingness, however, is when it comes to myself or other people. Why? Because it leaves things in the hands of someone else and I can't always trust them to make the choices I'm hoping they will make. More often than not, that decision also comes at the end of a drawn-out process of thought and consideration, when I would rather be just told straight out, Yes, this will happen or No, it won't.

Having to wait for those answers is excruciating and while I understand and respect the need for potentially deeper introspection and having the patience to let that process play out, when the final decision comes back and it's not in my favor, what I feel is that I wasted the time completely, no matter if it's a day, week or even a year.

So I push the situation and the person on the other side because I want the answer, and like all of us, I want the answer that which benefits me, makes me feel better. I'm not saying it's right that I do it, only that I recognize that I do it.

In the last three days alone, I've been told probably ten times from ten different people, "Dev, just be patient. Things will happen if you just let them happen on their own and don't try so hard."

Obviously, I need to learn how to be more patient and just slow down in crucial situations, rather than forcing the issue, because I can't control people and what they are going to do. Not everyone is going to see things my way and are within their right to disagree with my point of view. I wouldn't have it any other way, to be honest, because I don't want to be known as someone who's manipulative of others.

I need to learn and practice patience. If I possess the other qualities (and some of the flaws) of a bull, then this is something I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment