Monday, December 2, 2013

End of Line

I so wish this was a real status you could post on Facebook. Alas, Mr. Zuckerberg hasn't finished swimming laps in the vault he bought from Scrooge McDuck to update the code yet. So through the magic of a little Photoshop, I can do so here.

I am, effective immediately, officially retired from the dating and relationship game.

This isn't a new development or something that came to me willy-nilly out of the blue. I've actually been thinking about this for over a year and despite my effort to convince myself to the contrary, it just feels like the right decision.

When I got divorced, I suddenly found myself in a position I hadn't been in since I was 18 years-old. Being single. But unlike when I was that age, now I had everything I'd brought with me through those 16 years of the only relationship I'd ever had. Even before that, it wasn't like I had this incredible string of girlfriends to begin with.

Before I met my wife, my longest stint in anything resembling a relationship had been 12 days when I was about 16. Sad to say, that was with a girl who turned out to be rather crazy. Hence why we didn't make it to 13.

*Editorial Note - In the young lady's defense, I was equally, if not more crazy at that age, as the people I went to high school with will likely testify to under oath.

Now in that span, were there girls I was interested in and wanted to pursue relationships with? Yep. Did it ever happen? Not even close. And at the time, I still possessed enough small fragments of self-confidence and self-worth to convince myself I'd be okay. That I'd head off to college, get my career going, meet the sort of woman I wanted to be with and then everything would be what I wanted from there.

That didn't happen either.

So now, here I am, considerably older and with my heart having gone through the proverbial meat-grinder one too many times, I think I've had enough for a while. Honestly, I don't see the point of putting myself back out there. Not right now. I'm not interested and I feel like it would be a waste of both my time and that of whoever would be willing to take a chance on me.

And to be brutally honest, the one I want is impossible, so to suddenly go off and try and find a stop-gap, band-aid to fill that hole just seems stupid, pointless and unfair to whomever I'd try that with. I'm not going to do that. I'm better than that.

If I'd had a good run of relationships that were seemingly like everyone else's then maybe I'd be more confident about trying again. But I didn't, and for right now it just feels better shutting that side of myself off and focusing on what I need to do to get me to where I want to go, than thinking about whether I'm good enough for someone, which I don't feel remotely like I am.

Whatever it is most men possess that makes him keen for a woman to consider dating, I don't have it. I simply don't...and I really don't know if I ever did. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be writing this.

So that's it. I'm done, and I'm not all that upset about it either. If anything, I feel like I'm doing the world a favor by having the self-respect of taking myself off the board. Does it mean I'll never go back on it? I don't know and I'm not going to think about it for a while.

Maybe someday, when my heart feels strong enough again, I'll see. Professional athletes retire at my age and try to come back all the time. Why should I be any different?

No comments:

Post a Comment