Friday, December 20, 2013

Risky Proposition

I don't think anyone, be it guy or girl, ever sets out intending to be saddled with the dubious tag of "High Maintenance."

In the current social lexicon, "High Maintenance" means someone who is needy, emotionally fragile and usually serves as a warning to the unwanted addition of drama into the potential equation, which nobody wants.

I was talking with a friend the other day and we got on the topic of relationships. Now, we're both single, and being as such during the holidays can be a real pain in the ass because this is the time of the year where other friends, good intentions or not, try to set you up with someone to get you through to the New Year.

I think this is part of the reason why spiking egg nog at parties remains so popular.

In the middle of our chat, I made an observation that "High-maintenance train wrecks aren't exactly in demand." I meant it to be snarky more than self-deprecating, but found it actually rung with a distinct and somewhat unpleasant air of truth.

I am at this point in time, high maintenance, and no, I don't like it. Not at all.

I don't like it because the implication exists that I formed myself into that rather uncomfortable mold by choice. To be fair, some of it was my choice as I ended up in the relationships and proto-relationships that at the time, I wanted to be in. That said, the negative impact they had on me is not entirely my fault either.

The residual burnoff of those encounters have left me feeling emotionally very unsteady and lacking serious confidence in myself as a potential partner. The primary issue for anyone willing to give me a shot is going to have to accept that they are walking into a substantial restoration job.

I need a lot of work to get any sort of solid footing under me again where I will feel comfortable being open and emotional and tied to another person. I'd like to get most of that work done on my own so that other person's job can be minimized as much as possible.

Yes, high-maintenance people exist and to be in their proximity isn't always fun. Just keep in mind, they weren't always that way and it doesn't mean they'll always be that way either.

No comments:

Post a Comment