Saturday, December 28, 2013

My Definite Chief Aim

The New Year always brings the onslaught of the oft-dreaded resolutions, the things we hope to achieve over the next 12 months, even though the likelihood that we make many happen is not exceedingly high.

More often than not, the resolutions involve goals like losing weight, saving money or making travel plans. They can be fairly straightforward or somewhat complex in construction and all they take is a certain amount of willpower and effort to make them happen.

Personally, I hate the idea of New Year's Resolutions because we often design them with built-in failures. We start exercising in January and by March, it's back to the Haggen-Daas and Oreos. We say we're going to save money, and yet still find excuses to let it burn a hole in our pockets.

In January, 1969, with his career stagnate and a family in need of care, the late Bruce Lee wrote a document called My Definite Chief Aim, which outlined his plan for how he would attain the life he wanted. Sadly, he never reached his ultimate goal by the time he died in July, 1973, but he got close than he had if he'd envisioned nothing.

Therefore, with 2014 starting in about four days from now, I make this my Definite Chief Aim for the year ahead.

I, Devin Higgins, will complete the first draft of my novel and begin the process to see it through to publication, either via an established publisher or on my own.

I will do what is necessary to achieve full and lasting mental health. I hereby acknowledge that the events of the last year and all the years before it are fixed and cannot be changed. I can only accept what they are and will find my own peace with that reality.

My locus of self-worth will no longer be external and shall instead become internal.

I recognize that my life, for all its hardships, has made me more than strong enough to handle anything the future can throw at me. I will allow myself to be open to the love of those around me and show them the love I am capable of giving them. For they deserve it as much as I do.

By the end of 2014, I will look back on these aims and know that I'll have accomplished them. I will live the way I please and achieve inner harmony and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment