I was thinking about this for a while and when I realized that the little counter tipped over the 1,000-mark, I figured then might be a good time to do it.
Since we've hit November, though, the timing just happened to work out and there's never really a bad time for what I'm about to say anyway, so here goes.
Thank you.
Thank you to everyone who takes the time to stop and read this blog and the things I have to say on it. I know I don't always talk about the most light-hearted things in the world and I may come across as a slightly more self-aware Tasmanian Devil with how my thought process goes in every direction imaginable...but I appreciate that people read it nonetheless.
*Editorial Note - It's funny looking at the Stat page everyday and seeing blips coming up from Brazil, or Ukraine, or South Korea and more than once I can't help but think, "Who the hell could be possibly reading this thing in the Ukraine?!"
Despite that, there's a lot of people deserving of individual thanks as well, because if it weren't for them and the things they've done for me over the last three years, it's not hyperbolic to say that there would be nothing to read here...because I wouldn't be here.
Therefore, if you'll indulge me, I shall give credit where credit is due.
Patrick and Matthew - For 25 years, we've been the "Brothers from Other Mothers", but you've also been the best friends I could ever have. Seeing what you've both become, how you've grown into the men you are and having the honor of being able to call you "Brothers" is something I value very much. I never cease to learn from the examples you provide for me and I know if I need you guys at any time, for anything, you'll be there. I love you and your families more than you'll ever know.
Justin, Dani, Kandice and Ken - You've let me into your homes when I needed a place to stay, spent many an hour listening to the things I needed to get out and both never judged me and never patronized. I owe you guys a lot for what you've done for me and I don't know if I'll ever be able to repay it all, but I do so gladly because that is what friends do.
Jennifer - Oh, the lives we have had to live, my cousin. Why us? Hell if I know but the strength I've had to show to get through all this is nothing compared to yours. Raising three kids on your own, under the conditions you had to deal with, makes me so very proud of you. We've both had our days where we've wanted to quit because we don't think we can handle it anymore, but you help keep me going, and seeing where you are now makes me hopeful for my own future.
I love you much.
Amber - I figured you'd be one of those people who flashed through my childhood and we'd probably never see each other again. Yet, here we are. Like me, you have regrets you carry and dreams you want, and amid the uncertainty and fear that tries to drag us down with ever forward step we take, you keep going, churning out page after page and pouring everything you are into the stories you want to tell. I know you'll get there someday, and the fact that you see my own potential in me is both much needed and appreciated.
You see the light in me, and I see it in you, and that is why we work so well together as both partners in literary crime and as friends. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Alana and Kelsey - My eternal optimists. Nothing ever seems to slow you down or knock you off stride and I am both envious and amazed by that. You boldly march into areas where I dare not go and show a fearlessness which I wish I possessed but profoundly respect. You're both examples I look to for being willing and able to just throw caution to the wind, spread your wings and fly. Icarus has nothing on either of you.
Steve, Nicole, Rachel and Holly - I may have been late to the party, nor did I get to stay long, but I much appreciate being welcomed in all the same. It was nice being part of the group, and even though there were rough waters to navigate through in the last few years, I hope I can be again. You're all my kind of people. Smart, fun, geeky, undaunted and original. The world needs more people like you in it and I'm glad to know you all.
The "Paper Gang" - I walked into my job feeling like the odd-man out and very unsure if I'd be welcome at all. You squashed those feelings by being people I could talk to when I needed it, even if it had nothing to do with work at all. At a time when I needed a place to belong to, you let me do that and you haven't stopped since. I cannot thank you enough.
Katie - I saved this for last not because I thought it would provide dramatic effect, but because these words may be the hardest ones to write.
My whole life has been spent in pursuit of second chances which I was so sure I'd never get, no matter how hard I tried to earn them. But you have given me one, and I know that may not have been easy for you with everything that happened between us.
That is not lost on me, and I thank you so much for it.
I can't change the past, nor can I foresee the future. I know our friendship may never be what it was, but I've tried living both with and without you, and no matter what happens from here, I'll gladly take you in my life any day, because it hasn't been the same since the day we met in the Walter Hall basement so many years ago.
There are so many more people who have pitched in wherever and whenever they can along the way, and if I didn't mention you, please do not think I've forgotten. I couldn't have gotten here without your friendship, generosity, compassion, understanding, wisdom, tolerance or love.
I've never been one to spend Thanksgiving wondering what I might actually be thankful for, but I am so, SO thankful that you are all part of my circle of friends and loved ones.
Consider yourself hugged, for hugs are good things. I like hugs.
No comments:
Post a Comment