Friday, November 1, 2013

Pendulum Theory

So this wasn't exactly how I was hoping to follow up everything I felt good about last week.

It's been a rough one, to be sure, where my Yang threw a whole lot at me and my Yin, which is still in the thick of rehabilitation, wasn't really up to handling all of it.

Not that I blame it, either. It's a whole hell of a lot to take even on a really good day.

I've had this theory which I had to have picked up from somewhere, because it's way too logical to have come out of my head. But it's helped me through many a time like this, and I'm hoping it will do so again.

It's a derivative of the Pendulum Theory, which states that when a person goes through a particular traumatic or energizing experience, they tend to overcompensate by sending their personality in the opposing direction. So therefore, a depressed person goes out of their way to give the appearance of happiness and contentment, and an overly happy person may feign humility so as not to appear narcissistic or egotistical.

My take on the Pendulum Theory is this. The pendulum represents the self and it is always somewhere in the perpetual arc between positive and negative and if it strays too far to one side, it must inevitably come back the other way and remain for the same duration of time.

While that does mean that a life transition from good to bad, it also means the same in the opposite too. Let's face it, good luck is no more constant than bad luck and at different phases in our lives, the pendulum moves back and forth with very little, if anything, we can do to control or manipulate it.

That's not to suggest that such things are left to simple fate or chance either. Rather, it's more about karma and the idea that if you done something so wrong to warrant the pendulum swinging away from you, maybe the only way to get it to come back in your favor is correct it. So when it does come back you'll be able to reap the benefits which you've rightly earned.

Like I said, it's a theory I have, and the first time I came up with it, I was sitting in an 8 x 8 box with a cage door on one side, wondering how the hell I could've ever gotten myself into it, and what was I going to do when they finally let me back out.

That was nearly 20 years ago, and my pendulum is still hanging out there, hovering on the edge of that long, plodding arc, just waiting for the slightest ounce of opposing momentum to start bringing it back my way. I know it's going to eventually.

It has to, because sooner or later I'll have built up enough good karma to outweigh the things I've done wrong. I just have to be patient and hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment